1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Brush the cut surface of the butternuts squash halves with extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until the squash is knife tender ~50 min.
3. Peel, core and dice the apples. Dice onions. Add some olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the apples, onions, and sage and cook over medium heat until softened.
4. When squash is tender, remove from oven and let cool until cool enough to handle. Scoop out the flesh of the squash into the saucepan containing the apple, onions, and sage. Discard the skins.
5. Add the water and broth. Bring to boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Stir occasionally. Simmer about 15 – 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in some cream if desired.
6. Using a blender, puree the soup in a few batches until desired consistency. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.