1 cup dry lentils
2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
3 tablespoons flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
1/3 cup water (6 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil for sautéing
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, finely diced
1 small bell pepper, finely diced
1 celery stalk, finely diced
3/4 cup oats
1/2 finely ground oats
1 heaping teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 heaping teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder & onion powder
cracked pepper & sea salt to taste
1. Rinse lentils. In large pot add 2 1/2 cups water with lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once done, remove lid and set aside to cool. they will thicken upon standing, about 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In small bowl combine flaxseed meal and 1/3 cup water, set aside for at least 10 minutes, preferably in the refrigerator. This will act as a binder and will thicken nicely upon sitting.
4. Prepare vegetables. In saute pan heat oil or water over medium heat. Saute garlic, onion, bell pepper, and celery for about 5 minutes. Add spices mixing well to incorporate. Set aside to cool.
5. Using a submersion blender or food processor, blend 3/4 of the lentil mixture. Combine sauteed vegetables with the lentils, oats, oat flour and flaxseed meal, mix well. Taste, adding pepper and salt as needed. Place mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper, leaving it overlapping for easy removal. Press down firmly filling in along the edges.
Bake for 40-50 minutes. Let cool before slicing.